Sunday, March 12, 2006

Ego Game

A colleague sent me a game called One-Word Play last week. (Played this game before? It already may have appeared on Bzoink. Heck, it may have started in the 19th Century: I’ve found references to it from the 1850s.)

It was tantalizing enough, so I followed her instructions, responding to her with a single word.

Then I sent out my own e-mail: Dear all: you know I do not usually forward this sort of thing. However, this was sent to me by a colleague and I found the idea tantalizing.Please play. I think this will be fun. Describe me in ONE WORD...just one! Send it to me only, then send this message to your friends and see how many strange things people say about you! This could be fun! Just hit reply and send my ONE WORD back to me. Then, forward this message to your friends (including me) and see what they say about you!

I e-mailed the request to half a dozen or eight friends – and to the same number of family members. Two different audiences. Even while I hope my family members are friends too, the groups should approach my one-word description from alternate directions.

I have occasionally used this technique for developing a new identity or market position. It’s part of branding, right? In this case, the method is self-administered, using friends and family to generate key words.

Friend-wise, I have to report that my brand appears to a bit odd. I got back “erudite” and “fanatic.” Another sent back “Masterpiece Theatre,” insisting that as far as I was concerned he considers this one word. I can envision a connection between these three ideas.

But one friend sent back “Huh!” and another sent “( ).” Not helpful – but fun anyway.

Some of the family responded, but not many. I don’t take it personally. I received “bumptious,” “polished” and “big-hearted.” My sister, bless her, also included “handsome.”

Not much to go on. But it’s Sunday. I’m a branding expert. I have therefore carefully evaluated all these words and, by applying arcane methodologies, have come up with a couple of possible answers.

Either I am Louis XIV (Le brand – c’est moi!). Or a circus tent. Happy Sunday.

3 comments:

S.Ach said...

Nice Blog, Sir.
Would definitely send the mail to my friends for one word describing me.
I am sure the response will be funny

have a great day

Anonymous said...

supportive

loving

funny

dad

just one huh?

xox

Anonymous said...

Hey Richard! You know, I have limited personal use of my computer here at work and we get pistol-whipped when we do "chain" mail. Since I sort of enjoy our lifestyle, I opted to pass on the one-word reply in favor of keeping my job.

However, the immediate word that came to mind was "intellectual." Big surprise, huh? I'll bet it was fun seeing all the responses.

Say hi to Barb - take care! Lynn & Greg.