Sunday, December 05, 2010

Why Is It We Can Rescue a Minion but Not Save Face?

Whether it’s to the specific credit of the writers or the directors of Despicable Me, I’d like to extend my personal appreciation to all of them for saving the word minion. What Group 243 couldn’t really do for Domino’s Pizza and the Noid, this movie will do, I hope, for the rising generation of youngsters: offer them an excellent epithet.

Let’s review. Here’s a pointed English word (even if it comes from French) that means a servile or fawning dependant, a cringing agent – mainly of evil. It’s quite different than henchman, you know. Any Chicago politician can have henchmen. Being a minion demands somewhat more class.

Not to put too fine a point on it, minion started out meaning, “a beloved object, darling.” This was about 500 years ago. It didn’t take more than a couple of centuries, however, before Jonathan Swift was writing, “I had no Occasion of bribing, flattering, or pimping, to procure the Favour of any great Man, or of his Minion” (1726). You know, once Swift starts stabbing, there’s no turn back to the side of light; minion as “creature” is where we’re at today.

Nevertheless, the word will come back into everyday use – I believe this after seeing a photo of a costumed minion (from the movie, you understand) on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange.

I bring this whole thing up because a certain well-known social network intends to get a registered trademark on a largely innocent four-letter word soon – unless that WKSN is stopped by public outrage. Which seems to be in rather short supply at the moment. On this particular issue.

Can someone from the movie industry please step forward and assist?

The animated movie trailer notes, “To take over the world, you need an army of ruthless, menacing minions.” To save a great word, it takes a Hollywood studio.

8 comments:

Neil Fusillo said...

Interestingly, in the circles in which I travel, the word 'minion' has never gone out of style. As well as a few web comics.

http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/100623

Richard Laurence Baron said...

"Can I take it home and frame it?" I am totally getting in line for the Beanie-style-Bun-bun Hat...

S. Reeves said...

I was too busy looking at the pictures... Did you like the movie or just minion?

Richard Laurence Baron said...

I've been looking at the artwork myself - which is fine. I haven't seen the movie yet but intend to - can't miss a good animated flick.

Donna Collum said...

Hey, how about "despicable"? They saved the minion because they looked like giant twinkies--and who doesn't love those? Oh, you mean the word, "minion"? ;-)

Richard Laurence Baron said...

"Despicable?" Okay, TWO words. Hooray for Hollywood!

Kay Krenek said...

Minion is, by the way, also one of my favorite serif fonts but if that wasn't enough to save it, how about this:

http://www.whatonearthcatalog.com/whatonearth/Customer-Favorites_2AA/Item_What-I-Really-Need-Are-Minions-Shirts_AX5181G_ps_cti-2AA.html

Donna Collum said...

Really--everybody needs minions! I agree with that t-shirt. Did I just say that I agree with a t-shirt?!! What kinduva idiot says that?!!